Sunday, April 29, 2007

Progress Report

I went for my first post-op visit on Friday. The surprising thing about the whole thing is that he seems to be in better spirits than he usually is. He carries around a backpack that feeds him intravenously and pushes antibiotics. He can't talk, so he uses a laptop that my roommate S-- loaned to the cause. I have been knocked for a bit of a loop for this and other reasons. I'm not necessarily questioning the need for this project; it's just a weird curveball.

Anyhow, V-- is just as taken aback (in a good way), and we're both discussing ways to keep the ball rolling.

He was still getting used to the undersized keyboard (and this is a bit of a task given his relatively low frustration threshold), but he was able to communicate about it a bit. He said that seeing the ICU nurses operating so confidently with nothing but encouraging words gave him food for thought (the only food he's getting for a while). I'm starting to wonder if this whole thing was really about the best thing that could have happened, in a roundabout way.

No comments: